Monday 23 September 2013

Off the Cuff

I recently posted a shot of the Thames with some buildings on the opposite bank, with a couple of old style lampposts on my side of the river, framing the main building in the pic , I like it and so did a Facebook Friend, who added a comment about how she thought it would look lovely at night, so I decided to follow up on that comment and go shoot it again at night

Original Pic


as soon as the opportunity arose, I packed the car with gear and off I went, down through the Rotherhithe Tunnel, an amazing piece of engineering BTW, and built in a zigzag fashion in order to keep the horses from seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and bolting for it :-)

The tunnel goes under the River Thames in East London, connecting the Ratcliff district of Limehouse in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets north of the river to Rotherhithe in the London Borough of Southwark south of the river, designated the A101. It was formally opened in 1908 by George Prince of Wales (later King George V), and Richard Robinson, Chairman of the London County Council.

It's very narrow by today's standards and is an interesting drive especially when large vehicles are coming the other way ! ! !

                       

Anyway I digress, I got to my intended shoot location and due to allowing for the traffic was very early, so I ambled off back up river to see what else I could find whilst waiting for nightfall

I was fortunate enough to end up on the riverbank with this as the upriver view


Sunset over the Thames by Kriss Lee on 500px.com
Sunset over the Thames by Kriss Lee


I was able to entertain myself for a couple of hours shooting other things and checking out the locale for other possible shoots as it is steeped in history around here, all of the old London Dockland area is being gentrified for want of a better word, and there are little nooks and crannies that retain a lot of their original character

I also bumped into a mother and Daughter on a bicycle who were admiring the river, the daughter (at a guess about 4 yrs old) was very knowledgeable about the area she was looking at being able to identify the old docks by name which was lovely

I had a long chat with a guy who had lived all over the world working in the banking industry and is currently resident in Amsterdam, but was admiring the view I was about to shoot as one of the best views of a bank he had ever seen outside of the piles of money in the vault LOL

as night fell I started shooting and decided in the end upon one shot in particular which for me captures the very essence of what Lisa, my friend, had commented about, the dark blue of the sky with the lights of the buildings reflected in the river below

so Lisa, thanks for the Off the Cuff comment and the enjoyable four / five hours spent getting the shot for you and the people I met / saw / overheard, and of course for the shot itself :-)

Love 'N' Laughter Kriss X


Dusk across the Thames by Kriss Lee on 500px.com
Dusk across the Thames by Kriss Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment